We're developing an MMORPG and this question was brought up. I know that other online games allow macro-ing, some have it built into the engine, some (like UO) have 3rd party programs that they allow to be run during the game. They then try to monitor "unattended" macro-ing, which they consider a bannable offense.

Here's my opinion. We are developing the game so that certain actions deliberately take longer and are more tedious than others. This is a useful way to manage more powerful skills versus less useful ones. Its also a good way to monitor chraracter growth and diversity.

I know, many people out there think that its a good thing if you can reach max level or skill cap in a few weeks or even days. I, personally, hate grinding and think that this rapid development makes the game incredibly dull, since the only difference in characters will either be "Grand Master" and "Newbs". Not to mention, once you're maxed, there's very little left to explore. I think it should be a gradual process that people work at, thus giving a much more satisfying result when, at last, you do reach a maximum level.

Still, I'd like the opinion of everyone else. What are your opinions on macros and scripting?