Thread: Bike Chain keeps popping

Banned Reputation: 19

Default Bike Chain keeps popping

Its a Huffy i got it last year, all of a sudden my chain keeps popping when i peddle up hills and sometimes going down.

Do i have to replace the chain? or can i do something to prevent it.

Raiyne's Rock Band Reputation: 47

Sounds like our chain is loose unless you have a multi-gear bike in which case you gear changing mechanism probably doesn't have the correct tension in it causing the chain to miss the gears and fall off. Bring it to a bike shop and they'll take care of it by taking a link off of your chain. Alternatively you could try moving your back wheel back a smidge.

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

"Popping" as in, making a loud noise, or actually coming off?

If it is making a loud noise, its just increased tension on the chain. Nothing really to worry about.

If it is popping OFF, theres a multitude of things that could be causing it, but the most common is a bent cog spike (the little teeth on the gear.)

The latter can be a LITTLE expensive, but much cheaper than buying a new bike.

Either way, one should always practice proper chain maintenance. For example, don't leave your bike out in the rain, and if you DO, don't leave the most important parts exposed. Towel the bike dry if it gets wet.

Chain care is really easy. Just buy a little bottle of chain lube (this stuff), turn the bike upside down, and pedal SLOWLY, putting a drop on every link. Pedal it through a few times, gently place a rag on the chain (hold the rag) and pedal the chain through the rag once. Easy as pie, will make the chain flow like butter, and should stop any creaking noises you hear from the chain itself.

Remember!~ A bike chain is like the inner mechanisms of any machine. It needs proper care and love just like anything else (only more so, because it is exposed)

*PS* You don't need the Pedros stuff, its just what I use. You can pick up lube at any bike shop or even at Walmart prolly. Just make sure it says "CHAIN Lube" and you're a-OK.

Quote Originally Posted by zipykido View Post
    Sounds like our chain is loose unless you have a multi-gear bike in which case you gear changing mechanism probably doesn't have the correct tension in it causing the chain to miss the gears and fall off. Bring it to a bike shop and they'll take care of it by taking a link off of your chain. Alternatively you could try moving your back wheel back a smidge.
    I dont do 10 speeds,theyre too huge.

So my chain is too big? if so is there anywhere i can purchase bike chains ill just have my pops put it on for me

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

Quote Originally Posted by corasked View Post

So my chain is too big?
    Read my post first bro. I know I might not know much about most things, but bikes are one thing I really REALLY know about.

Shit, its my only way of getting around!

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Read my post first bro. I know I might not know much about most things, but bikes are one thing I really REALLY know about.

Shit, its my only way of getting around!
    I left it out 2 days ago because i forgot there was going to be a storm..

is that why? my Chain is Oily ass hell.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 12

Learn to skateboard.